Litany of Thanksgiving: Mothering God

Christine Sine has pulled together a beautiful list of biblical maternal images for God, along with prayer responses to each.

Litany: Mothering God

Today we thank God for the gift of mothers
and mothering around the world.

As one whom a mother comforts,
so I will comfort you – Isaiah 66:13. (RSV)
Gentle, patient God,
thank you for your tender care.

Can a mother forget the baby at her breast
and have no compassion on the child she has borne?
Though she may forget,
I will not forget you! Isaiah 49:15 (NIV)
Loving, caring God,
thank you for your compassionate care.

But I have calmed and quieted myself,
I am like a weaned child with its mother;
like a weaned child I am content. Psalm 131:2
Protecting, embracing God,
thank you for your nurturing care.

How often have I longed to gather your children together,
as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings… Matthew 23:37
Comforting, warmhearted God,
thank you for your gentle care.

God was like an eagle hovering over its nest,
overshadowing its young,
Then spreading its wings, lifting them into the air,
teaching them to fly. (Deuteronomy 32:11 The Message)
Ever present, sustaining God,
thank you for your enduring care

I have cared for you since you were born.  
Yes, I carried you before you were born. (Isaiah 46:3 NLT)
Sustaining, all sufficient God,
thank you for your satisfying care

I will be your God throughout your lifetime—
until your hair is white with age.
I made you, and I will care for you.   
I will carry you along and save you. (Isaiah 46:4 NLT)
Faithful, providing God,
thank you for mothers and their love

Everlasting and eternal One,
thank you for your mothering love.
Amen, Amen and Amen

~ compiled by Christine Sine. See link to video version on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_SqJRpdwU4#t=62