Prayer of Confession: Psalm 139

Here’s a prayer of confession based on Psalm 139, one of the suggested scripture passage for July 17, 2011 (Proper 11A). 

Prayer of Confession
(based on Psalm 139:1-4, 23-24)

O Lord,
You have searched me and known me.
You know when I sit down and when I rise up;
you discern my thoughts from far away.
You see me when I walk or lie down,
you know every detail of my conduct.
Even before a word is on my tongue,
O Lord, You know it completely.

So examine me, and know my heart, O God;
test me and know my thoughts.
See if there is any wicked way in me,
and lead me in the way that leads to eternal life.


Psalm 139:1-12, 23-24 is one of the suggested scripture passages for the fifth Sunday after Pentecost (July 17, 2011).  For more worship resources related to this passage, or other scripture passages for that Sunday, click on Proper 11A in the list of “Labels” at the lower right side of the page.

For more resources for confession, click on confession or words of assurance in the list of “Labels” at the right.