Psalm 23: "God, My Shepherd!"


The fourth Sunday of Easter is known, in some circles, as “Good Shepherd” Sunday, since the scripture texts for this Sunday traditionally include Psalm 23 and John 10.  I thought it might be interesting to compile a wide variety of different paraphrases of the 23rd Psalm which might be useful in worship.

Here is a paraphrase of Psalm 23 from The Message.


God, my shepherd! I don't need a thing.
You have bedded me down in lush meadows,
you find me quiet pools to drink from.
True to your word,
you let me catch my breath
and send me in the right direction.

Even when the way goes through Death Valley,
I'm not afraid when you walk at my side.
Your trusty shepherd's crook
makes me feel secure.

You serve me a six-course dinner
right in front of my enemies.
You revive my drooping head;
my cup brims with blessing.

Your beauty and love chase after me
every day of my life.
I'm back home in the house of God
for the rest of my life.

Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson

Jeffrey D. Oldham has collected a wide range of Scriptural translations and paraphrases of the 23rd Psalm into one document.  You can view them all here

For more paraphrases of Psalm 23 on this blog,
click on Psalm 23 in the list of “Labels”
at the lower right side of the page.

For more worship resources for Good Shepherd Sunday,
(the fourth Sunday of Easter),
click on Easter 4 at the right side of the page.