Psalm 23: "Dear God, You Sustain"



Here is another paraphrase of Psalm 23, from the Order of Compline in the New Zealand Prayer book, and posted on the Sacred Pauses website. 

Dear God, You Sustain

Dear God, you sustain and feed me
like a shepherd you guide me.
You lead me to an oasis of green,
to lie down by restful waters.
You refresh my soul for the journey,
and guide me along trusted roads.
The God of justice is your name.

Though I must enter the darkness of death,
I will fear no evil.
For you are with me,
your rod and staff comfort me.
You prepare a table before my very eyes,
in the presence of those who trouble me.
You anoint my head with oil,
and you fill my cup to the brim.
Your loving kindness and mercy will meet me
every day of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of my God for ever.

— from the Order of Compline in the New Zealand Prayer book

For more paraphrases of Psalm 23,
click on Psalm 23 in the list of “Labels”
at the lower right side of the page.

For more worship resources for Good Shepherd Sunday,
(the fourth Sunday of Easter),
click on Easter 4 at the right side of the page.