Prayer of Response: Matthew 21: 33-46

Here’s a wonderful prayer of confession and response based on Matthew 21:33-46, (the parable of the tenants), written by John van de Laar.

How Many?
(based on Matthew 21:33-46)

How many times each day
do You come to me, Jesus?
How many quiet prophets,
how many whispered warnings
are sent to catch my attention?

And how many times do I pass by
unaware of Your calm Presence,
unfeeling of Your beckoning gaze?

How often have I shunned Your messengers;
sending them away with clipped words
and cold eyes?
How often have I hurt the agents of Your care;
too busy or self-absorbed to notice
Your invitation in their words?

Forgive me, Lord,
when through neglect, pre-occupation or wrongfulness,
I turn my back on You.
Teach me to see, to listen and to walk with an open heart,
so that I can welcome You,
and answer You,
when, in grace and love,
You call me to follow.

— Copyright © John van de Laar, on his excellent website, Sacredise.com.  Visit that site for many more great lectionary-based resources for worship.