Prayer: Choices

Here’s a prayer of petition written by Kenn Stright, Minister at the Presbyterian Church of Saint David in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Prayer
(drawing on 2 Corinthians 1:17,
James 5:12, Matthew 5:37)

Discerning God,
help me consider this day
how I live my life
and how I choose the direction I take.

Do I make my plans according to ordinary human standards,
ready to say ‘Yes, yes’ and ‘No, no’ at the same time? (2 Cor. 1:17)

Discriminating God,
help me understand
how crucial are the words I speak to others
as I seek relationships in my life.

“Let your ‘Yes’ be your yes
and your ‘No,’ no,
or you will be condemned.” (James 5:12)

Disturbing God,
help me find clarity in my relationship with you,
with others, and maybe especially with myself.

Let your word be 'Yes, Yes' or 'No, No': 
anything more than this comes from the evil one.  (Matthew 5: 37)

~ written by Kenn Stright, Minister, Presbyterian Church of Saint David in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada