Palm Sunday Confession

Here’s a prayer of confession for Palm Sunday from Rev Grant Barclay.  It was posted on the Church of Scotland’s Starters for Sunday website.

Prayer of Confession for Palm Sunday
(Matthew 21:1-11, Mark 11:1-11; Luke 19:29-40; John 12:12-19)

We confess that we are not so different
from those who welcomed Christ into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday
yet later shouted 'Crucify him!' or remained silent in the face of injustice.
We have betrayed you too, Lord Jesus
by our sins both secret and known.
Yet you died for people like us,
and you rose on the third day that we might be redeemed.
For the sake of Jesus Christ do not hold our sins against us.

Jesus Christ, our King of glory,
we have not been outspoken for you.
We have not called for your death,
but neither have we shouted of your greatness,
nor expressed delight in the salvation you have won for us.
Help us to see your glory, draw us closer to you
that we may become more faithful, and more joyful
servants of the King.

Assurance of Pardon
(inspired by Psalm 31: 14-15)

The Psalmist says:
But I trust in you, O Lord, I say 'You are my God.'
My times are in your hands;
deliver me from my enemies
and from those who pursue me.
Let your face shine on your servant;
save me in your unfailing love.
In Christ, God hears; God answers; God sets us free.
In Christ we are forgiven. Thanks be to God!

~ written by Rev Grant Barclay and posted on the Church of Scotland’s Starters for Sunday website. http://www.churchofscotland.org.uk/