Readers' Theatre: Exodus 32: 7-14

Here is a readers’ theatre setting of Exodus 32: 7-14. It is set for three voices.

Readers’ Theatre: Exodus 32: 7-14

One:     The Lord told Moses,

Two:     Quick! Go down the mountain!
Your people whom you brought from the land of Egypt
have corrupted themselves. 
How quickly they have turned away
from the way I commanded them to live!
They have melted down gold and made a calf,
and they have bowed down and sacrificed to it.
They are saying, ‘These are your gods, O Israel,
who brought you out of the land of Egypt.’”

I have seen how stubborn and rebellious these people are. 
Now leave me alone so my fierce anger can blaze against them,
and I will destroy them.
Then I will make you, Moses, into a great nation.

One:     But Moses tried to pacify the Lord his God.

Three:  O Lord! Why are you so angry with your own people
whom you brought from the land of Egypt
with such great power and such a strong hand? 
Why let the Egyptians say,
‘Their God rescued them with the evil intention
of slaughtering them in the mountains
and wiping them from the face of the earth’?
Turn away from your fierce anger.
Change your mind about this terrible disaster
you have threatened against your people! 
Remember your servants Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.
You bound yourself with an oath to them, saying,
‘I will make your descendants as numerous as the stars of heaven.
And I will give them all of this land that I have promised to your 
descendants, and they will possess it forever.’”

One:     So the Lord changed his mind about the terrible disaster
            he had threatened to bring on his people.