New Year's Prayer: I Hold My Life Up to You Now

Here’s a New Year’s prayer from Ted Loder.

I Hold My Life Up to You Now

Patient God,
the clock struck midnight
and I partied with a strange sadness in my heart,
confusion in my mind.

Now, I ask you
to gather me,
for I realize
the storms of time have scattered me,
the furies of the year past have driven me,
many sorrows have scarred me,
many accomplishments have disappointed me,
much activity has wearied me,
and fear has spooked me
into a hundred hiding places,
one of which is pretended gaiety.

I am sick of a string of “have-a-nice-days.”
What I want is passionate days,
wondrous days,
dangerous days,
blessed days,
surprising days,
What I want is you!

Patient God
this day teeters on the edge of waiting
and things seem to slip away from me,
as though everything were only memory
and memory is capricious.
Help me not to let my life slip away from me.

O God, I hold up my life to you now,
as much as I can,
as high as I can,
in this mysterious reach called prayer.

Come close, lest I wobble and fall short.
It is not days or years I seek from you,
not infinity and enormity,
but small things and moments and awareness,
awareness that you are in what I am
and in what I have been indifferent to.

It is not new time,
but new eyes,
new heart I seek,
and you.

~ written by Ted Loder, in Guerillas of Grace: Prayers for the Battle. http://www.amazon.com/Guerrillas-Of-Grace-Prayers-Battle/dp/0806690542/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354232066&sr=8-1&keywords=guerrilas+of+grace  Posted on Prayers and Creeds, December 31, 2012.  http://prayersandcreeds.wordpress.com/