Ash Wednesday Prayer: Yesterday

Here’s a prayer for Ash Wednesday from Thom Shuman’s Prayers4Today blog.


Yesterday: An Ash Wednesday Prayer

yesterday,
i stuffed myself
on pancakes and pleasure,
on chocolate and self-indulgence;
now,
empty me
of all those delicious desires
which make my life (and soul)
so heavy;

yesterday,
i put on that funny face
i call 'me'
and danced through the streets
of temptation and selfishness;
now,
draw me
into those quiet places
where you can reshape me
as your child;

yesterday,
i wore a costume
bejeweled with pride's glitter,
and rainbowed with my silly sins;
now,
clothe me
in prayer
and smudge my face
with your heart's tears;

yesterday,
i chased after the world
into death;
now,
lead me into life
this Lent.


~ Copyright © 2007 Thom M. Shuman. Posted on Prayers4Todayhttp://prayersfortoday.blogspot.ca/