Footwashing Invitation


Here’s an invitation to a footwashing service (traditionally done on Maundy Thursday).  It was written by Ann Siddall.

Invitation – foot washing

“Unless I wash you
you have no share with me.”

If only it were otherwise.
If only I could present my credentials,
show my record of service,
get some kind of unlimited pass.

In every area of my life
I am more used
to proving how adequate I am,
presenting a polished image,
gaining certain privileges.

But you, Lord,
you bring me down
to where you are kneeling,
and take hold
of the feet I prefer to hide.

We are here together,
near the ground,
and in this humble position
I am touched by you
and made clean.

~ written by Ann Siddall, in Lent to Easter liturgies: Year C.  Posted on the website of the Stillpoint Spirituality Centre.  http://stillpoint.unitingchurchsa.org.au/