Gospel Reflection: Luke 1: 46-55


Here’s an honest  reflection on Mary’s song of praise (the Magnificat) in Luke 1:46-55.  It was written by Rev. Liz Crumlish.

Magnificat
(inspired by Luke 1: 46-55)

“How I rejoice in God my Saviour!
For he took notice of his lowly servant girl,
and now all generations will call me blessed.”  Luke 1:46-57

Blessed?
They call me blessed?
Well, I’d like to know what part of blessed
I’m failing to understand.
Is it blessed to have pregnancy sickness all day every day?
Is it blessed to have fingers so swollen
I couldn’t wear my ring – even if I had one?
Is it blessed to be gossiped about on street corners
and have folk turn their backs on me
when I walk down the street?
Is it blessed to be so bone wearying tired?
Is it blessed to have no one believe me
when I tell them about the angel?
Is it blessed to want so much to do God’s will
when it causes so much grief?
Blessed – so this is what it feels like!

~ written by Rev Liz Crumlish and posted on the Church of Scotland’s Starters for Sunday website. http://www.churchofscotland.org.uk/