Readers' Theatre: Psalm 132


Here’s a readers’ theatre setting of Psalm 132:1-5, 7-18, the suggested Psalm reading for Proper 29 B (Ordinary 34 B), the last Sunday after Pentecost. It is set for three voices.

Readers’ Theatre
(Psalm 132:1-5, 7-18)

One:     Lord, remember David and all that he suffered.
            He made a solemn promise to the Lord.
            He vowed to the Mighty One of Israel:


Two:     I will not go home;
            I will not let myself rest.
            I will not let my eyes close
            until I find a place to build a house for the Lord,
            a sanctuary for the Mighty One of Israel.


One:     Let us go to the sanctuary of the Lord;
            let us worship at the footstool of his throne.
            Arise, O Lord, and enter your resting place,
            along with the Ark, the symbol of your power.
            May your priests be clothed in godliness;
            may your loyal servants sing for joy.
            For the sake of your servant David,
            do not reject the king you have anointed.


Two:     The Lord swore an oath to David
            with a promise he will never take back:

Three:   I will place one of your descendants on your throne.
            If your descendants obey the terms of my covenant
            and the laws that I teach them,
            then your royal line will continue forever and ever.


One:     For the Lord has chosen Jerusalem; 
            he has desired it for his home.

Three:   This is my resting place forever,
            I will live here, for this is the home I desired.
            I will bless this city and make it prosperous;
            I will satisfy its poor with food.
            I will clothe its priests with godliness;
            its faithful servants will sing for joy.
            Here I will increase the power of David;
            my anointed one will be a light for my people.
            I will clothe his enemies with shame,
            but he will be a glorious king.