Call to Worship: Psalm 22: 1-5


Here’s a contemporary call to worship inspired by Psalm 22: 1-5.  It was written by Katherine Hawker.

Call to Worship
(inspired by Psalm 22:1-5)

In a world ravaged by war;
In a city undermined by racism;
In homes tormented with apathy, anger, and frenetic pace;
We cry:

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
Why are you so far from helping me,
from the words of my groaning?

Our schedules offer testimony
To our frantic search for meaning;
Getting ahead, getting healthy, getting religion.

O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer;
And by night, but you do not answer.

Slow us down, loving God.
Let us be still in your presence.

Yet you are holy.
In you our ancestors trusted, and you delivered them.
To you they cried, and were saved.
In you they trusted, and were not put to shame.

~ written by Katherine Hawker (1997).  Posted on the Liturgy Outside website. http://liturgyoutside.net/