Prayer: Celebrating Grace

Here’s a beautiful reflective prayer from Thom Shuman.

Prayer

Express your joy in singing among yourselves
psalms and hymns and spiritual songs,
making music in your hearts for the ears of the Lord!  Eph. 5:19 (Phillips)

i would prefer
to be left
leaning against the wall,
shuffling my two left feet,
watching the world
twirl by;
but you take me by the hand
to teach me
the dance steps
of grace;

when i walk near
the piano,
it shudders,
hoping
i will not sit down;
but you take my fingers
and place them on the keys,
whispering,
"play, play with joy, play!"

even with
the biggest bucket,
i can't carry a tune;
but you push me
out onto the stage,
introducing me as
the new soloist
in the Good News Choir.

i will celebrate your joy,
sing your hope,
play your love,
leaping and whirling
in your grace
forever!

~ Copyright © 2006 Thom M. Shuman.  Posted on Prayers4Today. http://prayersfortoday.blogspot.ca/