Psalm 30: Prayer of Praise

Here’s a prayer of praise and thanksgiving based on Psalm 30.  It was written by Jeff Shrowder, a retired minister in the Uniting Church in Australia.

Prayer of Praise & Thanksgiving
(based on Psalm 30)

O LORD, a fractured relationship with you is like a death;
yet your one desire is life – community with you.
With darkness weeping remains,
but joy comes with the hint of morning light.
We’ve come to take so much for granted in our lives:
“I’m OK – steady as a rock.
In fact, LORD, you’ve been so good to me
I’m more secure than a strong mountain.”
Then it seemed that you hid your face from me,
and I was terrified.
I cried out to you, LORD, when things were really grim;
I pleaded with you to restore my good circumstance:
“What profit is there in my weeping, in my going down in the pit?
Will the dust praise you? Will it declare your faithfulness?
Hear me, LORD, and be merciful.
O LORD, be my help.”
You transformed my mourning into dance,
and gave me new life;
you have taken my sack-cloth and clothed me with joy,
so that my life will praise you, and not weep.
O LORD, my God, I will praise you – for ever.

— written by Jeff Shrowder, and posted in his excellent website, The Billabong.