Prayer: The Mind of Christ

Here’s a beautiful prayer of aspiration and commitment written by John Birch. 

Prayer for Others
Let the same mind be in you that was in Christ Jesus… (Phil. 2:5)

This world I live in
this town I live in
this street I live in
this house I live in
may each be the focus of my prayer

Those I live with
those I rub shoulders with
those I work with
those I don't get on with
may each be the focus of my prayer

Those who laugh
those who cry
those who hurt
those who hide
may each be the focus of my prayer

Prayers centred less on self
and more on others
less on my circumstances
more on the needs of others.
May my life be likewise centred
less on self and more on You
and through You to the world
in which I live and move.

—Copyright © John Birch, posted on Faith and Worship - Prayers and Resources

 

 

For other prayers and prayer resources on this blog, see this Prayer index.


For more worship resources related to this text, or other texts for September 25, 2011 (the fifteenth Sunday after Pentecost), click on Proper 21A in the list of “Labels” at the lower right side of the page.