Readers' Theatre: Genesis 29:15-28

Dante's Vision of Rachel and Leah, Dante Rossetti (1855)

If your worship this Sunday includes the story of Jacob’s marriage to Rachel (and Leah!), here’s a 3-voice readers’ theatre version of Genesis 29:15-28 which might be useful.

Jacob's Wedding

(Genesis 29:15-28)

 

Narr:     After Jacob had been working with Laban for a month, Laban said:

 

Laban:  You shouldn’t work for me without pay just because we are relatives.

            Tell me how much your wages should be. 

 

Narr:     Now Laban had two daughters.

            The older daughter was named Leah, and the younger one was Rachel.

            Leah had lovely eyes, but her sister Rachel was stunningly beautiful.

            Since Jacob was in love with Rachel, he told her father,

 

Jacob:  I’ll work for you for seven years if you’ll give me Rachel,

            your younger daughter, as my wife.

 

Narr:     Laban readily agreed.

 

Laban:  I'd far rather have her marry you than some outsider.   

            Stay here, and work with me.

Narr:     So Jacob stayed with Laban, and worked seven years to pay for Rachel.
            But his love for her was so strong that it seemed to him but a few days.
            Finally, the time came for him to marry her.

Jacob:   I have fulfilled my agreement.
            Now give me my wife so I can marry her.

Narr:     So Laban prepared a lavish wedding feast
            and invited everyone in the neighborhood
            But that night, when it was dark, Laban took Leah to Jacob instead,
            and he slept with her.
            And when Jacob woke up in the morning—it was Leah!
            Jacob was very upset and confronted his uncle.

Jacob:   What have you done to me?
            I worked seven years for Rachel!
            Why have you tricked me?

Laban:  In our country, it’s not our custom 
            to marry off a younger daughter ahead of the firstborn.
            But wait until the honeymoon is over, then we’ll give you Rachel, too—
            provided you promise to work another seven years for me.

Narr:     So Jacob agreed to work seven more years.
            A week after Jacob had married Leah,
            Laban gave him his daughter Rachel as a wife.


Genesis 29:15-28 is one of the suggested scripture passages for the sixth Sunday after Pentecost (July 24, 2011).  For more worship resources related to this passage, or other scripture passages for that Sunday, click on Proper 12A in the list of “Labels” at the lower right side of the page.
For more Readers’ Theatre resources, click on readers’ theatre in the list of “Labels” at the right.