Traditional Hymns & Songs: Proper 9A

If you are working with the lectionary texts for July 3, 2011 (the third Sunday after Pentecost), here are some suggestions for traditional hymns and songs you might consider using.


Romans 7:15-25
All the Riches of God’s Grace, Jan Harrington
Amazing Grace, John Newton
And Can It Be, Charles Wesley
Breathe on Me, Breath of God, Edwin Hatch
Breathe on Me, Edwin Hatch, B.B. McKinney
Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing, Robert Robinson
I Then Shall Live, Gloria Gaither
Jesus, I Come, William Sleeper
Jesus, Lover of My Soul, Charles Wesley
Just as I am, Charlotte Elliott
Love Divine, All Loves Excelling, Charles Wesley
Make me a captive, Lord, George Matheson
Marvelous grace of our loving Lord, Julia Johnston
O Thou, In Whose Presence, Joseph Swain
Out of the depths, Martin Luther
Rock of Ages, Cleft for Me, Augustus Toplady
When in the hour of deepest need, Paul Eber
Wonderful Grace of Jesus, Haldor Lillenas

Matthew 11:25-27
God Has Spoken by the Prophets, George Briggs
Open My Eyes, That I May See, Clara H. Scott
Open Our Eyes, Lord, Robert Cull
Thanks to God Whose Word Was Spoken, R.T. Brooks

Matthew 11:28-30
Cares Chorus, Kelly Willard
Come, ye disconsolate, Thomas Moore
Come, Ye Sinners, Poor and Needy, Joseph Hart
Forth in thy name O Lord, I go, Charles Wesley
I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say
Jesus, I Come, William Sleeper
Just as I am, Charlotte Elliott
Lord Jesus, Think on Me, Synesius of Cyrene/Chatfield
Lord of All Hopefulness, Jan Struther
O God, in restless living, Harry Emerson Fosdick
Softly and Tenderly, Jesus is Calling, Will Thompson
There Is a place of quiet rest, Cleland B. McAfee

Zechariah 9:9-12
O for a thousand tongues to sing, Charles Wesley
Prepare the Way, O Zion, Frans Mikael Franzen/Charles Price
Rejoice Today with One Accord, Henry William Baker
Thou art the way, George W. Doane

Psalm 145:8-14
All Creatures of Our God and King, Francis of Assisi/Draper/Ken
God of the Ages, Whose Almighty Hand, Daniel C. Roberts
Holy God, We Praise Your Name, Ignaz Franz/Walworth
Holy, Holy, Holy, Reginald Heber
Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee, Henry van Dyke
Let All the World in Every Corner Sing, George Herbert
My God, How Endless Is Your Love, Isaac Watts
O Worship the King, Robert Grant
Praise the Lord! O Heavens Adore Him, author unknown
Praise to the Lord, the Almighty, Joachim Neander/Winkworth
Praise, My Soul, the King of Heaven, Henry Francis Lyte
Rejoice, the Lord is King, Charles Wesley