Litany of Lament & Affirmation


Here’s a scriptural litany that contrasts the hope and confidence of the psalmist in Psalm 23 (in bold print) with the anguish and despair of the writer of Psalm 13 (light print).  The litany could either be read by two readers on behalf of the congregation, or the congregation could be invited to join in, choosing to read whichever psalm best represents their current experience of God’s presence.  

 

Whichever approach you choose, be sure to take your time.  Read slowly, without rushing.  

 

Experiencing God: Two Views

(Psalm 13 and Psalm 23)


O LORD, how long will you forget me? Forever?
How long will you look the other way?

            The LORD is my shepherd;
            I have everything I need.
            He lets me rest in green meadows;
            he leads me beside peaceful streams.

How long must I struggle with anguish in my soul,
with sorrow in my heart every day?

            He restores my soul.
            He guides me along paths of righteousness
            for the sake of his good name.

How long will my enemy have the upper hand?
Turn and answer me, O LORD my God!
Restore the sight to my eyes, or I will die.

            Even when I walk through the dark valley of death,
            I will not be afraid,
            for you are close beside me.
            Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me.

Don’t let my enemies gloat, saying, “We have defeated him!”
Don’t let them rejoice at my downfall.

            You prepare a feast for me right in front of my enemies.
            You welcome me as a guest, anointing my head with oil.
            My cup overflows with blessings.

But I trust in your unfailing love.
I will rejoice because you have rescued me.
I will sing to the LORD
because he has been so good to me.

            Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me
            all the days of my life,
            and I will live in the house of the LORD forever.  

~ Christine Longhurst, re:Worship