Psalm 23 Litany



I’ve had the opportunity to use this litany in worship a number of times over the years. I recommend it.

Contemporary Responses to Psalm 23

This has been another busy week.
I don’t know whether I can focus on worship this morning.
Something is nagging at my feelings.

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.

Life is busy.
There seems to be no end to work.
I can’t relax.

He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters.

I have bad, painful memories.
I am hurting inside.

He restores my soul.

I struggle with sin.
The good I want to do I cannot do.
The evil I do I do not want to do.
Who will rescue me from this body of death?

He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.

I am getting older and may soon die.
Someone I love may soon die.

Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

My fellow workers look down on me.
My boss gives me a hard time.
I have few friends at school.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.

Life is full of troubles.
My health is not as it should be.
Where can I find meaningful work?

You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.

I am worried about the future.
Will I meet a partner?
Can I repay my debts?
Is my business going to fail?
Will my marriage last?

Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life.

Lord, I believe. Help me in my unbelief.

And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

— written by Bert Witvoet. Posted on the Westview Church website.