A Prayer to End Violence

One of the suggested scripture readings for Proper 22C and Proper 26C is Habakkuk 1:1-4, 2:1-4.  This prayer of petition on the subject of violence seemed like a good fit.

Prayer: For an End to Violence

God of life,
Every act of violence in our world,
in our communities,
between myself and others,
destroys a part of your creation.

Stir in my heart a renewed sense of reverence for all life.
Give me the vision to recognize your spirit in every human being,
however they behave towards me.
Make possible the impossible
by cultivating in me the fertile seed of healing love.
May I play my part in breaking the cycle of violence
by realizing that peace begins with me.
In the name of Christ, who is our peace, Amen.

~ adapted from “Prayer for an End to Violence,” St. Ethelburga’s Centre for Reconciliation and Peace. www.stethelburgas.org/prayer.html. Posted on the Lectionary Resources page of the North Carolina Council of Churches website. http://www.ncchurches.org/