Readers' Theatre: Luke 9: 51-62

Here’s a readers’ theatre setting of Luke 9: 51-62, the suggested gospel reading for Proper 8, Year C.  It is set for two voices.

Readers’ Theatre
(Luke 9: 51-62)

One:     As the time drew near for Jesus to ascend to heaven,
Jesus resolutely set out for Jerusalem.
He sent some people ahead of him,
into the territory of the Samaritans,
a minority group at odds with the Jewish majority.
He wanted his messengers to find a place for them to stay
in a village along the road to Jerusalem.
But because the Samaritans realized Jesus was going to Jerusalem,
they refused to welcome them.
When James and John saw this, they said to Jesus,
“Lord, do you want us to call down fire from heaven
to destroy these people who have rejected you
(just as Elijah did)?”
But, turning toward them and shaking his head, Jesus said:

Two:     You just don’t get it.
The Son of Man didn’t come to ruin the lives of people,
He came to liberate them!

One:     So they went on to another village.
            As they were walking along, someone said to Jesus,
“I will follow you wherever you go.”
But Jesus replied,

Two:     Foxes are at home in their burrows.
            Birds are at home in their nests.
            But the Son of Man has no home.

One:     He saw another person, and said:

Two:     Come, follow me.

One:     “I’d be glad to,” the man agreed, but added,
“first let me return home and bury my father.”

Two:     Let the dead bury their dead.
            I’m giving you a different calling –
            to go and proclaim the kingdom of God.

One:     “I’ll come, Jesus,” said another.
            “I’ll follow you.
            But just let me first run home to say good-bye to my family.”

Two:     Listen, if your hand is on the plow but your eyes are looking behind you, 
            you’re not fit for the kingdom of God.”