Readers' Theatre: Genesis 15


Here’s a readers’ theatre setting of Genesis 15: 1-12, 17-18, the suggested Old Testament reading for Lent 2 C.

 

Readers’ Theatre

(Genesis 15:1-12, 17-18)

 

One:     Some time later,

            the LORD spoke to Abram in a vision and said to him,

 

Two:     Do not be afraid, Abram, for I will protect you,

            and your reward will be great.

 

Three:   O Sovereign LORD, what good are all your blessings

            when I don’t even have a son?

            Since you’ve given me no children,

            Eliezer of Damascus, a servant in my household,

            will inherit all my wealth.

            You have given me no descendants of my own,

            so one of my servants will be my heir.

 

Two:     No, your servant will not be your heir,

            for you will have a son of your own who will be your heir.

 

One:     Then the LORD took Abram outside and said to him,

 

Two:     Look up into the sky and count the stars if you can.

            That’s how many descendants you will have!

 

One:     And Abram believed the LORD,

            and the LORD counted him as righteous because of his faith.

            Then the LORD told him:

 

Two:     I am the LORD who brought you out of Ur of the Chaldeans

            to give you this land as your possession.

 

Three:   O Sovereign LORD,

            how can I be sure that I will actually possess it?”

 

Two:     Bring me a three-year-old heifer,

            a three-year-old female goat,

            a three-year-old ram,

            a turtledove,

            and a young pigeon.

 

One:     So Abram presented all these to him and killed them.

            Then he cut each animal down the middle

            and laid the halves side by side;

            he did not, however, cut the birds in half.

            Some vultures swooped down to eat the carcasses,

            but Abram chased them away.

            As the sun was going down, Abram fell into a deep sleep,

            and a terrifying darkness came down over him.

 

            After the sun went down and darkness fell,

            Abram saw a smoking firepot and a flaming torch

            pass between the halves of the carcasses.

            So the LORD made a covenant with Abram that day, saying:

 

Two:     I have given this land to your descendants,

            all the way from the border of Egypt to the great Euphrates River.