Prayer of Confession from Psalm 51

Have mercy on me, O God,
according to your steadfast love.
According to your abundant mercy,
blot out my transgressions.

Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity.
Cleanse me from my sin.
I know my transgressions.
My sin is ever before me.

Against you, you alone, have I sinned,
and done what is evil in your sight,
so that you are justified in your sentence
and blameless when you pass judgment.

You desire truth in the inward being;
therefore teach me wisdom in my secret heart.

Hide your face from my sins, and blot out all my iniquities.

Create in me a clean heart, O God
and put a new and right spirit within me.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
and sustain in me a willing spirit.

Then I will teach transgressors your ways,
and sinners will return to you.

The sacrifice acceptable to God is a broken spirit;
a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.