Welcoming a New Year

A new year stands on my doorstep
ready to enter my life's journey.

Something in me welcomes this visitor:
the hope of bountiful blessings
the joy of a new beginning
the freshness of unclaimed surprises

Something in me rebuffs this visitor:
the swiftness of the coming
the boldness of the entrance
the challenge of a year's good-bye.

Something in me fears this visitor:
the unnamed events of future days
the wisdom needed to walk love well
the demands of giving away and growing.

A new year stands on my doorstep.
with fragile caution I move
to open the door for its entrance,
my heart leaps with surprise,
joy jumps in my eyes,
for there beside this brand new year
stands my God with outstretched hand!

God smiles and gently asks of me:
can we walk this year together?

And I, so overwhelmed with goodness,
can barely whisper my reply: “Welcome in!”

— posted on the Sisters of Saint Martha of Antigonish website. 

For more worship resources for the New Year, click on New Year in the list of “Labels” at the lower right side of the page, or visit this Index of New Year Resources.