Pastoral Prayer: October 30, 2011

Here’s a pastoral prayer based on Joshua 3: 7-17, one of the suggested texts for October 30, 2011 (Proper 26A, Ordinary 31A).  It was written by Nancy C. Townley.

For other pastoral or intercessory prayer suggestions for October 30, 2011, also see:


Pastoral Prayer
(based on Joshua 3: 7-17)

[Using the first verse of "I Want Jesus to Walk with Me". This should be sung in the style of a spiritual, slowly, intentionally]

Soloist:
I want Jesus to walk with me.
I want Jesus to walk with me.
All along my pilgrim journey, Lord,
I want Jesus to walk with me.

We say we want you to walk with us, Lord Jesus. But we are not comfortable with the path that is set before us. We would like a smooth, newly paved road, with clear markings and bright bold signs, telling us what to do; warning us of what lies ahead. But the journey of discipleship is like a rough mountain path. There are rocks, ruts, dust, dirt, holes. There may be wolves or robbers at any turn. We don’t know if we dare to risk discipleship if it means struggle.

Soloist:
I want Jesus to walk with me.
I want Jesus to walk with me.
All along my pilgrim journey, Lord,
I want Jesus to walk with me.

But you have called us to rely on your guidance and direction. You remind us that God has never failed us yet. We have been brought to new vistas and new opportunities of service that we never would have encountered on the safe road. And this is because in all our trials, you do walk with us, Lord Jesus.

Soloist:
I want Jesus to walk with me.
I want Jesus to walk with me.
All along my pilgrim journey, Lord,
I want Jesus to walk with me.

In our troubles and concerns, Lord, we need your presence and comfort. We have so many fears and anxieties. Our hearts break and are burdened with the illnesses and grief of loved ones. We hear the news of disaster and catastrophe in this world and wonder how much of this we can stand. In our troubles and trials, Lord, remind us that we have your strength on which to rely. As we have faithfully brought before you the names of loved ones in need of your healing and comfort, remind us that we too are recipients of that same healing love. Strengthen us. Walk with us, Lord. Lift us high and give us confident strides as we follow your will and your path. Amen.

— written by Nancy C. Townley, and posted on the Worship Connection page of the Ministry Matters website. Visit there for other great suggestions for worship on October 23, 2011.