Prayer for Mothers' Day (Psalm 139)


Prayer
(based on Psalm 139, Contemporary English Version)

You have looked deep into my heart, LORD,
and you know all about me.
You know when I am resting or when I am working,
and from heaven you discover my thoughts.
You notice everything I do and everywhere I go.
Before I even speak a word, you know what I will say,
and with your powerful arm you protect me
from every side.

I can't understand all of this!
Such wonderful knowledge is far above me.

You are the one who put me together
inside my mother's body,
and I praise you because of the wonderful way
you created me.

Everything you do is marvelous!
Of this I have no doubt.

Nothing about me is hidden from you!
You watched as I was being formed in utter seclusion,
as I was woven together in the dark of the womb.

Even before I was born,
you had written in your book everything I would do.

Your thoughts are far beyond my understanding,
much more than I could ever imagine.
I try to count your thoughts,
but they outnumber the grains of sand on the beach.

Look deep into my heart, God,
and find out everything I am thinking.
Don't let me follow evil ways,
but lead me in the way that time has proven true.

— based on verses from Psalm 139, Contemporary English Version (CEV)
Copyright © 1995 by American Bible Society