Jun 18, 2014

Psalm Paraphrase: Psalm 13

How long, Lord God, how long
will you keep on forgetting me! Forever?
How long will you hide your face from me?
How long must I always be second-guessing such things
deep inside myself,
and have worrisome pain in my gut all day long?
How long will my enemy have me in its triumphant power?

Take a good look, O Lord, my God,
please hear me with an answer!
Keep my eyes bright with life
lest death itself put me to sleep,
and my enemies roll in the aisles
when they see me about to break down—
But I still sense I am safe in your covenantal love,
My deepest heart rejoices
in your always coming through to the rescue.
I will sing to the Lord!
Yes, the Lord has always helped me
grow more sure of God’s enduring love.

~ adaptation of Psalm 13 by Calvin Seerveld, in Voicing God’s Psalms (http://www.amazon.com/Voicing-Institute-Christian-Worship-Liturgical/dp/080282806X). Posted on the Reformed Worship website. http://www.reformedworship.org/article/september-2009/protest-praise