Call to Worship, Prayer: Baptism of Jesus

Here’s an opening call to worship and prayer inspired by the baptism of Jesus by John.  It was written by Bruce Prewer.

Call to Worship
(inspired by Isaiah 42:1-9, Mark 1:9-11, Matthew 3:13-17, Luke 3:21-23)

Today we celebrate a special baptism;
the baptism of Jesus of Nazareth.

God says:
Look! See my chosen servant,
the One in whom I utterly delight;
I have placed my Spirit on him,
he will bring true justice to the nations.

When Jesus was baptised, the heavens opened up,
and Spirit came down like a dove;
and there was a voice from heaven saying:
“This is my dearly loved Son,
with whom I am delighted.”

The joy of the Lord be with you all.
And also with you.

Opening Prayer

Most wonderful God,
foolish and flawed though we are,
we too delight in your beloved Son.
As in his name we gather in the house of many praises,
may the heavens be opened for us,
that we may catch a glimpse of that Light and Love
that transforms our common days
with a beauty not of our making. 
Through Christ Jesus our Lord.
Amen!

~ written by Bruce Prewer, and posted on Bruce Prewer’s Home page. http://www.bruceprewer.com/DocA/10BAPTIS.htm