Closing Prayer: A Prayer to the Potter

Here’s a prayer of commitment and dedication inspired by Jeremiah 18:1-11 and/or Isaiah 64:8.  It was written by Macrina Wiederkehr.

A Prayer to the Potter
(inspired by Jeremiah 18:1-11, Isaiah 64:8)

Dear Potter,
The lump of clay that I am
Keeps crying for some form
Day by day
I yearn for you to mold me

This is a trust song, Lord
I am in your hands like clay
I am ready to be transformed:

I expect to be molded
I expect to be beautiful
I expect to be loved.
And if by chance
Someone should drop me
As your apprentices sometimes do,
I expect to be hurt.

I’m just trying to say
I have surrendered to your dream for me
I am in your hands like clay.

~ from Seasons of Your Heart by Macrina Wiederkehr. In Meditation with Clay, posted on the School Ethos website. http://www.schoolethos.ie/