Monologue: the Ascension of Jesus


Here’s a creative monologue on the ascension of Jesus (Acts 1:1-11) from Roddy Hamilton. 

The Letter of Theophilus
The imaginary letter Theophilus wrote in response
to Luke’s original ones of his Gospel and Acts.

My dear Luke,

Thank you for your first book about Jesus… As you can guess… I was most intrigued to hear you were writing a second volume… and have been looking forward to it with expectation… I did wonder how this wonderful story could continue after resurrection… and so on receiving your second volume… I was keen to start reading straight away…

In your first book you kept me gripped with a story full of wonder and grace… of healing and miraculous events… but more than anything… it was Jesus who fascinated me… a miracle worker yet whose miracles were incidental to the purpose of his life… which was to offer and show us how to live life fully given over to the love of God…

I was fascinated therefore with the details you gave of the resurrection and the sightings of him after those mysterious events at the empty tomb… And to imagine all you say is true… makes it even more of a tale of wonder and grace…

Imagine then… what it was like to open your second volume and read straight away the story of Jesus departure from among us… My heart skipped a beat as I imagined in my mind his ascension… I must confess I did wonder what was going to happen to Jesus ever since the early days of resurrection… I knew in my heart of hearts he couldn’t be with us always… so limited geographically to one place at a time… 

But an ascension… such a difficult thing to imagine… I can’t tell if you are offering a symbolic story here… or outlining the facts… either way… the means of his departure seem unimportant…

I imagine you are saying that it is what is left in his place that is important… and the implication of the two men who turn up as the disciples stare into space… as if longing for Jesus to be with them… is beautifully and subtly made… Though I have to confess… I can imagine how they felt… those poor disciples… having been through so much… tying their whole lives and livelihood to Jesus… and now all of that familiarity is gone… It must have been quite a blow to them…

So far… I have read but the first page… and am looking forward to hearing how the tale will grow… but I imagine that they will discover they have been left with more than they imagine… a confidence? I am sure… a hope? I am certain… but if everything I have read so far is true… and I do not doubt you one bit, Luke my friend… then there will be love… a love that has seen all things… even death being defeated… and in that Spirit and truth… I dare not even imagine what might yet happen to this new movement…

Jesus is gone… but it seems he is more alive now… than ever before…

Thank you for encouraging my faith… with your own… I am beginning to trust this adventure called The Way…

Your friend,
Theophilus

~ written by Roddy Hamilton, and posted on Listening to the Stones. http://newkilpatrickblog.typepad.com/nk-blogging/mucky-paws/