Prayer Reflection: In this life


Here’s a prayer reflection for the third Sunday in Lent, Year C.  It was written by Thom Shuman.

 

in this life

(inspired by Isaiah 55:1-5, Psalm 63:1-8)

 

on those days
when i hunger 
for some people to be hurt
the way they've hurt me,
i feed eagerly at the banquet
of judgment and retribution
proclaimed by some;
yet you offer me
an abundant feast of what is good:
loading my plate with a mound of mercy,
pouring grace over it
and asking me to pass it on
to my worst enemy.

in those moments
when i am so dehydrated
by not having my desires met
that i drink deeply from the fountains
of self-pity and pettiness,
you turn the handle of hope,
filling that dented cup of compassion
you have had since the beginning of time,
and hand it to me, saying,
'Drink up! It's good for you!"

in this life 
where it seems 
i never get enough of me,
help me to seek
to get enough of you, O God;

help me.

~ Copyright © 2007 Thom M. Shuman. Posted on Prayers4Today.  http://prayersfortoday.blogspot.ca/