Readers' Theatre: 2 Samuel 23: 1-7


Here’s a readers’ theatre setting of 2 Samuel 23:1-7, the suggested Old Testament reading for Proper 29 B (Ordinary 34 B), the last Sunday after Pentecost. It is set for two voices.

Readers’ Theatre: 2 Samuel 23:1-7

One:     These are the last words of David, son of Jesse:
            the words of the one raised up,
            the anointed one of Jacob’s True God,
            the sweet songwriter of Israel.

Two:     The Spirit of the Eternal speaks through me;
            His voice emerges from my mouth.
            The God of Israel has talked to me;
            and the Rock of Israel has said:

One:     The one who rules people with justice
            and who leads them in the fear of God
            is like the morning light,
            the sun rising on a cloudless morning,
            and the shining grasslands brought up from rain.

Two:     Isn’t this how God has raised up my house?
            Because He has made a perpetual covenant with me,
            well-ordered and secure,
            won’t He make all things to grow and prosper,
            save me, and give me all I desire?
            But the wicked are like thorns cut off and tossed away
            that can’t be picked up with your hands.
            No, to touch them,
            use the iron tip on the shaft of a spear.
            They are burned up on the spot.

~ Scripture taken from The Voice™. http://www.hearthevoice.com/  Copyright © 2006, 2007, 2008 by Ecclesia Bible Society. Used by permission. All rights reserved.