Call to Worship & Prayer: Psalm 138

Here’s a responsive call to worship and opening prayer based on Psalm 138. They were written by L.G. Parkhurst.

Responsive Call to Worship
(based on Psalm 138)

One:   I give you thanks, O LORD, with my whole heart.
            I sing your praise and give thanks
            for your steadfast love and faithfulness.
            You have exalted your name and your word above everything.
All:      On the day I called, you answered me.
            You increased my strength of soul.
One:   Though the LORD is high, he regards the lowly;
            but the haughty he perceives from far away.
All:      Though I walk in the midst of trouble,
            you preserve me against the wrath of my enemies.
            You stretch out your hand, and your right hand delivers me.

One:   The LORD will fulfill his purpose for me.
            Your steadfast love, O LORD, endures forever.
All:       Do not forsake the work of your hands.


Opening Prayer
(based on Psalm 138)

Heavenly Father, we gather this morning with those who love You,
that we might sing Your praises and share Your love with one another.
You have shown Your faithfulness to us everyday
in ways that we do not always recognize,
so we gather today in order to thank You for Your constant watch-care over us.
Help us to entrust ours lives to You and Your purposes
as we pray in the Name of Jesus Christ,
who taught us to pray in the power of Your Spirit,
“Our Father. . .”

— © Copyright 2007 by L.G. Parkhurst, Jr. Posted on A Psalm and A Prayer website. http://psalmsandprayers.com/