Prayer of Commitment: Psalm 23

Here’s a prayer of dedication inspired by Psalm 23.  It was written by Katherine Hawker.

Prayer of Dedication
(based on Psalm 23)

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want;
   We believe in the goodness of God.
   We believe God hears and responds to our needs.
   We believe God responds to all children everywhere.
He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters, he restores my soul.
   We are grateful that we’ve been blessed with enough water.
   But we know that many do not have enough.
   Not enough water, not enough food, not enough peace.
He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
   Too many children do not see God’s righteousness.
   Too many children watch violence, taste hunger, feel fear.
   Too many children cry from the unspeakable horror of war.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil; for thou art with me;
thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
   To become involved is risky. Pain is often contagious.
   Our hearts may be broken and our lives may be threatened.
   Yet we hear God calling and we can no longer hide.
Thou preparest a table for me in the presence of my enemies;
thou annointest me head with oil, my cup overflows.
   Our steps may be small and timid.
   We may read a book, write a letter, or make a gift.
   But each tiny step is blessed by God and multiplies.
Surely goodness and mercy
shall follow me all the days of my life;
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
   God is more relentless than war.
   God is more pervasive than hatred.
   God is more insistent than despair.
Amen. Amen.

— written by Katherine Hawker for the Union Church UCC of Tekonsha, 1994. Posted on the Liturgy Outside  website.