Feb 22, 2012

Prayers of the People: Lent 5 B

Here is a beautiful prayer of commitment and intercession based on Psalm 119: 9-16, the suggested psalm for the fifth Sunday of Lent, Year B (March 25, 2012).  It was written by James Hart Brumm, and published in the December, 2008 issue of Reformed Worship.

Prayer of Commitment and Intercession
(based on Psalm 119: 9-16)

How can those who are young keep their way pure?
By living according to your word.
I seek you with all my heart;
do not let me stray from your commands.
I have hidden your word in my heart
that I might not sin against you.
Praise be to you, Lord;
teach me your decrees.
With my lips I recount all the laws that come from your mouth.
I rejoice in following your statutes
as one rejoices in great riches.
I meditate on your precepts
and consider your ways.
I delight in your decrees;
I will not neglect your word. (Ps. 119:9-16)

We who are young,
we who are old,
we who are rich,
we who are poor,
we who gather from every way and walk of life,
seeking you with our whole hearts,
trying to guard our lives according to your Word,
we come to you in prayer.

The worship leader may offer up particular thanksgivings and concerns,
each followed by a time of silent prayer.

We who seek you with our whole heart
offer you our prayers,
in the name of Christ, your Son, our Savior,
whose life was laid down that all our lives might rise.

— written by James Hart Brumm in Praying the Psalms in Lent.  Published in the December, 2008 issue of Reformed Worship.  

For more prayer resources on this blog, see the Scriptural Index of Prayers at the upper right side of the page.