Litany of Hope: Isaiah 51: 1-6

Listen to me, all who hope for deliverance—
all who seek the Lord!
Consider the rock from which you were cut,
the quarry from which you were mined.

Look to Abraham, your ancestor,
and to Sarah, who gave you birth.
They were alone when I called them,
but I blessed them and made of them a great nation.

In the same way, I will comfort Israel again,
and have pity on her ruins.
Her desert will blossom like Eden,
her barren wilderness like the garden of the Lord.
Joy and gladness will be found there.
Songs of thanksgiving will fill the air.

Pay attention to me, my people;
listen to me, my nation,
for my law will be proclaimed,
and my justice will become a light to the nations.

My mercy and justice are coming soon.
My salvation is on the way.
My strong arm will bring justice to the nations.
All distant lands will look to me
and wait in hope for my powerful arm.
Look up to the skies above,
and gaze down on the earth below.
For the skies will disappear like smoke,
and the earth will wear out like a piece of clothing.
The people of the earth will die like flies,
but my salvation will last forever.
My righteous rule will never end!


For more worship resources related to this text, or other texts for August 21, 2011 (the tenth Sunday after Pentecost), click on Proper 16A in the list of “Labels” at the lower right side of the page.

For other litanies on this blog, click on litanies in the list of “Labels” at the right.