Psalm 17: A Cry for Justice

A Paraphrase of Psalm 17:1-7, 15

O God, hear my cry for justice!
Listen to my prayer,
for I am speaking honestly and from the heart.
Look closely, and declare me innocent!

You know me through and through –
all my thoughts and feelings.
You have examined me closely
and found nothing wrong.
I have been careful to follow your ways,
deliberately avoiding people who would lead me astray.
I’ve done my best to follow the path You have set out for me.

And so I’m crying out to You now,
confident that You will hear me.
Listen to my prayer!
Show me the unfailing love that I’ve come to expect from You.
Rescue me, as You rescue all who turn to You for help.

I am confident that I am in the right,
and that in the end, I will see Your face
and be filled with Your glorious presence.
Amen.