Litany: Do not be afraid

Litany of Reassurance
(based on the Matthew 14:22-33; Genesis 37:1-28; I Kings 19:9-18; Isaiah 43:1-3a)

When the wind is strong and the waves are high,
remember the words of Jesus:
Take heart, it is I.  Do not be afraid.

When our dreams come to nothing,
and we wonder what lies ahead,
remember the words of Jesus:
Take heart, it is I.  Do not be afraid.

When those we love disappoint us,
or hurt us deeply,
remember the words of Jesus:
Take heart, it is I.  Do not be afraid.

When we begin to question God’s call,
or doubt God’s love,
remember the words of Jesus:
Take heart, it is I.  Do not be afraid.

When we’ve lost all hope,
and don’t know where to turn,
remember the words of Jesus:
Take heart, it is I.  Do not be afraid.

When our faith is stretched to the breaking point,
remember the words of Jesus:
Take heart, it is I.  Do not be afraid,
for I have redeemed you.
I have called you by name; you are Mine.

When you go through deep waters,
I will be with you.

When you pass through rivers of difficulty,
you will not be overwhelmed.

When you walk through the fire,
you shall not be burned,
and the flame will not consume you.

For I am the Lord, your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.


This litany is based on the suggested texts for Sunday, August 7, 2011 (the eighth Sunday after Pentecost), plus one other.  Genesis 37:1-28 tells the story of when Joseph’s brothers sold him into slavery in Egypt.  I Kings 19 tells of the prophet Elijah’s escape from Queen Jezebel, and his encounter with God at Mount Horeb. Matthew 14:22-33 tells the story of Peter’s attempt to walk on water with Jesus.  The recurring refrain in this litany comes from Jesus’ reassuring words to the disciples when they first see him coming toward them on the water.  The passage at the close of the litany is from Isaiah 43:1-3a.

If you are looking for a song response to follow this reading, you might consider David Haas’s beautiful You Are Mine. (See the lyrics here.) 

For other worship resources for August 7, 2011, click on Proper 14A in the list of “Labels” at the lower right side of the page.