Hymns and Songs: Proper 14A

If you are working with the lectionary texts for August 7, 2011 (the eighth Sunday after Pentecost), here are a few traditional and contemporary hymn suggestions. 

Instead of grouping them by scripture reference, I’ve focused on some of the primary themes running through the texts.

Words (and often music) for the songs marked with an asterisk (*) can be found on Hope Publishing’s Online Hymnody website.  (Just search for the title of the hymn.)


Salvation in Christ
(Matthew 14:22-33, Romans 10:5-15)

A Servant of the Least, L.W. Terley
Amazing Grace, John Newton/John Rees
And Can It Be, Charles Wesley
Come Christians, Join to Sing, Christian Bateman CCLI 83253
Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing, Robert Robinson
Come with All Joy, Christopher Idle CCLI 647929
Grace Greater Than Our Sin, Julia Johnston 
I Know Whom I Have Believed, Daniel Whittle  Redeemed, Fanny J. Crosby
Surely It Is God Who Saves Me*, Carl P. Daw
Wonderful Grace of Jesus, Haldor Lillenas


Have faith in God, even when things are going wrong
(Gen. 37, Psalm 105, Matt. 14:22-33, Rom. 10:5-15, I Kings 19:9-18)

All Through the Day, Tom Howard
By Gracious Powers, Dietrich Bonhoeffer/Fred Pratt Green
Children of the Heavenly Father, Caroline Sandell Berg 
Day by Day, Carolina Sandell Berg
He Leadeth Me, Joseph Gilmore 
How Firm a Foundation, John Rippon’s Selection of Hymns 1787  
I Am Trusting You, Lord Jesus, Frances R. Havergal
If You Will Only Let God Guide You, Georg Neumark, tr. Winkworth 
Lord Jesus, When My Courage Fails*, Shirley Erena Murray
Oh, the Deep, Deep Love of Jesus, Samuel Trevor Francis 
Precious Lord, Take My Hand, Thomas A. Dorsey
Safe in the Shadow of the Lord*, Timothy Dudley Smith
Standing on the Promises, R. Kelso Carter
The Solid Rock (My Hope is Built), Edward Mote 
Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus, Louisa M.R. Stead
We Walk by Faith, Henry Alford


Proclaiming the good news
(Romans 10:5-15, Psalm 105)

God Himself Is With Us, Gerhardt Tersteegen
God Our Author and Creator*, Carl P. Daw, Jr.
Here I Am Lord, Daniel L. Schutte
I’m Gonna Live So God Can Use Me, Traditional spiritual
Let Your Heart Be Broken,  Bryan Jeffery Leech
Lord Jesus, of You I Will Sing, L’Arche Hymn (anonymous)
Lord Speak to Me That I May Speak, Frances R. Havergal
May the Mind of Christ My Saviour, Katie Wilkinson
O Master Let Me Walk with Thee, Washington Gladden
Take My Life and Let It Be, Frances Ridley Havergal
You Are the Vine, Danny Daniels


Listening for the gentle voice of God
(Matthew 14:22-33, I Kings 19:9-18)

Be Still and Know that I am God, anonymous
Be Still, for the Presence of the Lord, David Evans CCLI 120824
I Lift My Eyes to the Quiet Hills*, Timothy Dudley-Smith
Open Our Eyes, Lord, Robert Cull
While We Are Waiting, Come, Claire Cloninger


For other worship resources for August 7, 2011, click on Proper 14A in the list of “Labels” at the lower right side of the page.