Litany of Lament: U2 "40"


Here’s a litany of lament based on Psalm 13.  It simply combines the reading of that Psalm with a sung response—the refrain of U2’s song “40”:  “How long to sing this song?”  You can listen to the song on YouTube and see the lyrics here

If using the U2’s “40” isn’t an option for your congregation, here are a few other suggestions for a brief sung response. (In most cases, using just the refrain or single stanza would probably work best.)

Psalm 13, Brian Doerksen CCLI 3721852 (Listen to it on YouTube.) 
How Long, Lord, Graham Peart, Philip Percival CCLI 2446482 
How Long Will You Forget Me, Lord, Christopher Idle CCLI 1019910 (Tune: try Amazing Grace)
Psalm 13, Vineyard UK.  See lyrics and guitar chords here. Listen to it on YouTube. 
Psalm 13, Shane and Shane.  Listen to it on YouTube.   See the lyrics and guitar tabs here


How Long?

O Lord, how long will you forget me? Forever?
How long will you look the other way?
How long must I struggle with anguish in my soul,
with sorrow in my heart every day?

Sung refrain: “How long to sing this song….”

How long will my enemy have the upper hand?
Turn and answer me, O Lord my God!
Restore the sparkle to my eyes, or I will die.

Sung refrain: “How long to sing this song…?”

Don’t let my enemies gloat, saying, “We have defeated him!”
Don’t let them rejoice at my downfall.

Sung refrain: “How long to sing this song…?”

But I trust in your unfailing love.
I will rejoice because you have rescued me.
I will sing to the LORD because He has been so good to me.

Sung refrain: “I will sing, sing a new song…
How long to sing this song…?”