Psalm 23: "The Lord is My Leader"

Image:  Henry Tanner, The Good Shepherd

Here’s another paraphrase of the 23rd Psalm, written by Rev. Kevin Mahaffy, Jr.


The Lord is my leader and provider,
 I shall not be lacking;
I shall not fail.

He makes me rest in a pleasant place,
He protects and sustains me
 as He guides me along peaceful and quiet waters,
He cause my life to return to its proper rhythm.
He guides me along the track of right and justice
in order to honor Him by showing forth His character.

Even when I walk weakly through the gorge
with the shadow of death cast over me and calamity all around,
 I will not be frightened or overwhelmed with fear,
 for You are right there inside me;
Your rod of authority, and your walking stick of guidance
bring me great comfort and assurance.

You arrange a table and prepare a meal,
inviting me to eat in full view
of those who want to cause trouble for and even kill me.

You anoint my head with oil;
I am filled to overflowing, and I am completely satisfied.

Truly goodness and beauty and kindness will chase after me
 every day that I am alive,
and I will abide and remain in the family of the Eternal God
 forever and ever and ever.”

—paraphrase by Rev. Kevin Mahaffy, Jr. on his blog.

For more paraphrases of Psalm 23,
click on Psalm 23 in the list of “Labels”
at the lower right side of the page.

For more worship resources for Good Shepherd Sunday,
(the fourth Sunday of Easter),
click on Easter 4 at the right side of the page.