Good Shepherd Litany


Here is a scriptural litany for Easter 4 based on two “Good Shepherd” passages from the Old Testament—Ezekiel 34 and Psalm 23.  It contrasts the promises of God with the experience of the believer.

Good Shepherd Litany
(based on Ezekiel 34 and Psalm 23)

This is what the Sovereign Lord says:
I myself will search and find my sheep.
I will be like a shepherd looking for his scattered flock.

The Lord is my shepherd;
I have all that I need.

I will feed them on the mountains of Israel
and by the rivers and in all the places where people live.
Yes, I will give them good pastureland on the high hills of Israel.
There they will lie down in pleasant places
and feed in the lush pastures of the hills.

He lets me rest in green meadows;
he leads me beside peaceful streams.
He renews my strength.
He guides me along right paths,
bringing honor to his name.

I myself will tend my sheep
and give them a place to lie down in peace,
says the Sovereign Lord.

Even when I walk through the darkest valley,
I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me.
Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me.
You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies.
You honor me by anointing my head with oil.
My cup overflows with blessings.

I will search for my lost ones who strayed away,
and I will bring them safely home again.
I will bandage the injured and strengthen the weak.

Surely your goodness and unfailing love
 will pursue me all the days of my life,
and I will live in the house of the Lord forever.

If you're looking for more resources for the fourth Sunday of Easter (sometimes called "Good Shepherd Sunday"), click on Easter 4 in the list of "Labels" to the right.